Tuesday, May 29, 2012

3 Stars: "Bared to You" by Sylvia Day

"Bared to You" is the first book in a modern romance trilogy that promises the masses a hit for their "Fifty Shades Trilogy" addiction.
Goodreads.com Description:
Our journey began in fire...

Gideon Cross came into my life like lightning in the darkness—beautiful and brilliant, jagged and white-hot. I was drawn to him as I'd never been to anything or anyone in my life. I craved his touch like a drug, even knowing it would weaken me. I was flawed and damaged, and he opened those cracks in me so easily...

Gideon knew. He had demons of his own. And we would become the mirrors that reflected each other's most private wounds... and desires.

The bonds of his love transformed me, even as I prayed that the torment of our pasts didn't tear us apart...

After reading "Bared to You", I have to agree that both novels have several points in common:

  • Ana and Eva seem to have serious self-esteem issues that make them more likeable in the reader's eyes. This is not a praise, and I will get into that later. 
  • Both leading ladies have roommates they share everything with, and I mean everything... Just seconds after whatever 'thing' happened. 
  • Both ladies come from divorced/separated parents, with both having a flaky mother. 
  • Both ladies are VERY smart, but are not exactly at the top of their profession, I guess the job market sucks everywhere. 
  • Christian and Gideon have large amounts of money. In the 'billions' type of 'large'.
  • Both leading men tend to be possessive and controlling in that way that hardcore feminists get offended and romance readers feel loved. 
  • Both leading men are not just 'hot' they are SERIOUSLY good looking. Especially when they are naked.
And I would say that's about it. 

Why did I not give it less than three stars? What did I like about the book?
For one I like strong characters, and Eva tends to ask for what she wants, express how she feels, and not swoon as easily as your average Harlequin damsel. Don't take this like there isn't a strong attraction between the characters, they are attracted to one another from just looking at each other, but Eva tries to stand up for herself and not just make excuses for her lover just because he is hot. I liked how she made plans for herself instead of just waiting around for life to happen. She could take control of a situation and didn't need him to make a name for herself.
I liked the fact that Gideon did play the part of a working CEO, he did spend time at the office doing important things and not just planing their next date. I liked that he didn't change much throughout the book. This book takes place over a few weeks time and it would be unrealistic to think that a person changes that fast, no matter how in love they are. 
I liked the fact that the book is written by an adult that doesn't spend time overly describing what the characters are wearing, what fabric it is, what brand, how expensive, etc. I like the fact that it gets the point across once and refrains from describing it again and again, using a thesaurus or otherwise. The book is written by an adult, and for adults. 
Finally the sex. I hear people say that they don't read romance for the sex, and I can't believe that. If that were the case there wouldn't be a Romance category, it would all be mashed in Erotic Fiction or Chick Lit. If you don't read it for the sex you may as well start reading Teens books. So, how is the sex? It wasn't over the top. It wasn't the main plot, and I liked that. I feel  it was average, really. The character seemed to enjoy it thoroughly, but as a reader it didn't excite me. It was sexy, but didn't make me blush. I wasn't expecting whips and chains, but I felt the lead up to the sex could have been better. After all the chasing and the gossiping, it simply didn't meet the expectations. The sex was well written, but it didn't make me lust for the next encounter. 
In summary, I liked the realism of the novel. The characters are enjoyable and easy to read. In fact I read it in three sittings. It kept me reading until the end. The story is not common and I can easily see it happening. 

Why did I not give it a higher rating?
Eva is constantly being approached by guys, yet she has a hard time believing she is beautiful. 
I didn't like that Gideon seemed bi-polar at times. Trauma or not. 
I didn't like the many cliches in the book. Like everyone has had sex on the same couch at home and they are completely OK with sitting down later on to watch a movie.
I like cliffhangers as much as anybody else, but this ending bothered me.

"Bared to You" will find a hungry audience craving more "Fifty Shades" goodness, and it will deliver. 

No comments:

Post a Comment